Sun Goomteo is a franchise restaurant specializing in grilled fish, seafood dishes, and kimchi stew. It is known for aging its mackerel and hairtail in over 20 unique marinades and then drying them using a special cold-air method.
As a franchise, Sun Goomteo can be found in various locations, and in Yeonhui-dong, known for its diverse restaurant scene, you can also find a Sun Goomteo.
“Seoul Yeonhui-dong, Grilled Fish & Kimchi Stew Specialist”
Yeonhui-dong is renowned for its abundance of famous restaurants, earning it the reputation of being a neighborhood for food enthusiasts. Notably, there’s “Mokran,” a Chinese restaurant operated by Chef Lee Yeon-bok, and “Kaden,” a Japanese restaurant by Chef Jung Ho-young.
Additionally, there’s the original location of Yeonhui Kimbap, famous for its kimbap, offering a variety of culinary experiences.
While you can find restaurants with such prominent names in Yeonhui-dong, you can also come across reliable franchise restaurants. Sun Goomteo is one such franchise specializing in grilled fish and kimchi stew.
It’s located in the heart of Yeonhui-dong, not far from the shopping center. Sun Goomteo is situated on a side street, slightly set back from the main road, so it may not catch your eye immediately. Make sure to look out for the sign when you visit.
“Sun Goomteo’s Menu”
Sun Goomteo offers a range of menus including grilled fish sets, grilled items, and kimchi stew. Depending on the type of fish, the set menu varies, and you can choose between options like Haemul Chadol Doenjang or kimchi stew.
- Set 1: Spanish Mackerel, Hairtail, Flounder: KRW 33,000
- Set 2: Spanish Mackerel, Hairtail, Yellowtail Amberjack: KRW 37,000
- Set 3: Spanish Mackerel, Hairtail, Flounder, Yellowtail Amberjack: KRW 45,000
- Set 4: Spanish Mackerel, Hairtail, Flounder, Grouper: KRW 51,000
- Grilled Spanish Mackerel: KRW 9,000
- Seasoned Grilled Spanish Mackerel: KRW 10,000
- Grilled Hairtail: KRW 13,000
- Grilled Yellowtail Amberjack: KRW 12,000
- Grilled Smoked Eel: KRW 11,000
- Grilled Flounder (Two pieces): KRW 11,000
- Grilled Dried Pollack: KRW 11,000
- Grilled Grouper: KRW 20,000
- Kimchi Stew: KRW 8,000
- Spam Kimchi Stew: KRW 8,000
- Tuna Kimchi Stew: KRW 8,000
- Seafood Chadol Doenjang Stew (Served in a hot pot): KRW 9,000
- Dried Pollack Hangover Soup: KRW 8,000
- Al Tang (For 2 or more): KRW 10,000
- Seafood Fish Cake Hot Pot: KRW 28,000
“Stir-fried and Braised Dishes”
- Stir-fried Pork: KRW 9,000
- Stir-fried Baby Octopus: KRW 20,000
- Braised Spanish Mackerel and Yellowtail Amberjack: KRW 8,000
“Spam Kimchi Stew: KRW 8,000”
For this visit, I contemplated what to order and decided on the Spam Kimchi Stew. While I also wanted to try the grilled fish, the weather was quite chilly, and I craved a warm soup.
After placing the order, a simple side dish was provided. The side dishes consisted of five items: kimchi, squid strips, onions, bean sprout salad, and pickled chilies. Since I ordered kimchi stew, it would have been preferable if the side dishes were more focused on flavors that complement the stew, such as less spicy or salty options.
The Spam Kimchi Stew naturally contains spam, giving it a taste reminiscent of army stew. The combination of spam and kimchi provides a spicy, salty, and slightly sweet flavor. It’s a dish that allows you to fully experience these distinct tastes.
While I was curious about the grilled fish, I chose the stew this time because I wanted a warm dish on this chilly day. I left with a slight regret for not trying the grilled fish, but it made me eager to visit again and taste the grilled fish. It’s a place suitable for solo dining, and I would feel comfortable visiting alone.
“Seoul Yeonhui-dong, Grilled Fish & Kimchi Stew, Sun Goomteo Yeonhui Branch”
- Address: 1st Floor, 12 Yeonhui Mat-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul
- Phone: 02-9655-0138
- Operating Hours: 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Website: http://www.sungumter.co.kr/2017/main.htm