In Korea, you can find the airport railroad connecting Incheon International Airport, one of Korea’s representative international airports, to Seoul Station. Similarly, in Hong Kong, there is an Airport Express Line (AEL) that connects Hong Kong International Airport to downtown Hong Kong. The name of the Hong Kong Airport Railroad is “AEL.”
“AEL” stands for “Airport Express Line.” In Korean, it can be translated as “Airport Rapid Line” or “Airport Express Line.” AEL stops at four stations: Hong Kong International Airport Station, Tsing Yi Station, Kowloon Station (previously known as Kowloon Thimshatsui), and Hong Kong Central Station.
Typically, to travel from Hong Kong Airport to the city center, passengers would board the AEL. The frequency of trains is every 10 minutes. The travel time and cost from Hong Kong Airport to each station are as follows:
- Hong Kong Airport to Tsing Yi: 13 minutes, one-way fare HKD 70
- Hong Kong Airport to Kowloon Thimshatsui: 21 minutes, one-way fare HKD 105
- Hong Kong Airport to Hong Kong Central: 24 minutes, one-way fare HKD 115
“Affordable AEL Tickets for Group Travel”
One notable feature of the Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL) is that when multiple people purchase tickets together, they can obtain tickets at a lower cost.
For example, if traveling alone from Hong Kong Airport to Hong Kong Central Station, it would cost HKD 115. However, if four people travel together, the total cost would be HKD 280, which amounts to only HKD 70 per person. Therefore, the more people travel together, the more affordable it becomes.
“Ticket Prices: Hong Kong Airport to Hong Kong Central Station”
- Individual Ticket One-way: HKD 115
- Individual Ticket Round-trip: HKD 205
- Individual Octopus Card One-way: HKD 110
- Two-person Ticket One-way: HKD 170 (HKD 85 per person)
- Three-person Ticket One-way: HKD 230 (HKD 76.7 per person)
- Four-person Ticket One-way: HKD 280 (HKD 70 per person)
“More Affordable Ticket Options for Group Travel”
However, even if traveling alone, there is no need to worry too much. Before embarking on a trip to Hong Kong, you can purchase AEL tickets online in advance, which can be even more affordable than purchasing tickets for a group of travelers.
By searching online shopping malls, you can find tickets priced in the low thousands for a one-way journey. Alternatively, you can use specialized travel ticket purchase websites like “Klook” to obtain tickets at a lower cost.
“First and Last Train Schedule for Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL)”
As mentioned earlier, the frequency of the Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL) is every 10 minutes. There are first and last trains with the following schedules:
“Train from Hong Kong International Airport to Downtown Hong Kong”
- First Train: 5:54 AM
- Last Train: 12:48 AM (early next morning)
“Train from Downtown Hong Kong to Hong Kong International Airport”
- First Train: 5:50 AM
- Last Train: 12:48 AM (early next morning, from Hong Kong Station)
“Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL): Complimentary Shuttle Bus Service”
When using the Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL), you can board complimentary shuttle buses that operate from the stations where the AEL stops (Hong Kong Central and Kowloon) to nearby hotels.
Conversely, shuttle buses from hotels to the AEL stations (Kowloon and Hong Kong Central) are also free. Additionally, even if you are not staying at a specific hotel, you can still board buses heading towards hotels for free. Information about available routes can be found through the following link:
- Hong Kong Airport Express Line “Free Hotel Shuttle Bus Information”: https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/hotel-shuttle-service.html
“Early Check-in for Flights with Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL)”
Another advantage of using the Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL) is the ability to perform early check-ins for flights if necessary.
On the last day of your trip, after packing your luggage at the hotel, you can perform an early check-in at the AEL stations in downtown Hong Kong (Hong Kong Central and Kowloon Thimshatsui) before sending your luggage to the airport. This allows you to spend the remaining time in downtown Hong Kong at ease and then proceed to Hong Kong Airport according to your flight schedule.
- Stations where early check-in is available: AEL Hong Kong Central and Kowloon Thimshatsui (Kowloon Station)
- Early check-in available from: 24 hours before flight departure to 90 minutes before (slightly varies by airline)
- Check-in counter operating hours: 5:30 AM – 12:30 AM
Eligibility: Purchase of AEL ticket or possession of Octopus card
Some airlines offer the option of early check-in, while others do not. The list of airlines that offer early check-in can be found through the following link:
- Hong Kong Airport Express Line “In-Town Check-in Service”: https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_checkin.html
- Hong Kong Airport Express Line “List of Airlines Offering Early Check-in”: https://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf
For Korean airlines, Korean Air, Asiana Airlines, Air Seoul, and Air Busan offer this service. For more detailed information, it is recommended to refer to the provided links.
Up to this point, I’ve provided information about the Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL) that connects Hong Kong Airport and downtown Hong Kong. I hope this information proves useful for those planning to travel to Hong Kong.
“Hong Kong Airport Express Line (AEL)”